Thursday, November 4, 2010

Project: Lemonade Stand

As a family we enjoy getting up early every now and then on Saturday mornings, grabbing a donut  (or two), and hitting a few yard sales.  This summer  we went to one yard sale where there were two little girls selling lemonade.  The girls thought that was just about the coolest thing EVER. 

They asked John if he could build them their own stand. 

He agreed.  Thinking it might happen at some future point.  The girls were persistant though, and John drew up plans and had it built by the NEXT day :)  ... What a sweet Daddy!

Here is John putting his miter saw to good use building the frame.

The frame of the stand.  John's idea was to use fence pickets to make the front of the stand.  I think it looks great!  The girls wanted it to be pink ;-)

Particle board for the top, and (not shown) the bottom shelf.  Chalkboard paint for the top sign made out of another fence picket.

And the Goober-girls putting the stand to good use!  They sold orange punch, pink lemonade, and danishes.  I am looking forward to them using the stand many times in the future :)

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

iLoveToCreate: Poodle Skirt Sequins Application

The mission was to complete the poodle skirt in time for Halloween :)  I opted for the brilliant plan of making my girls poodle skirts this year for their costumes.  Not a bad idea, except that I don't know much about sewing clothing or following a sewing pattern.  Thankfully, I have friends that lent me their knowledge and moral support and helped me me complete the skirts.  I am looking forward to my next sewing project, it isn't as tough as it looks :)

So, I had the skirts done.  I found a poodle applique.  I got 1-1/2 yards each of sequin trim from the fabric store.  And I got out my bottle of Aleene's Fabric Fusion Permanent Dry Cleanable Fabric Adhesive.

I ironed on the poodle applique, then strung the sequins out in a way I liked.  I made a line of Fabric Adhesive exactly where I wanted the sequins to go. 

I found it best to work in sections, carefully applying the sequins.  I let it dry for a few hours.

And, here they are being put to use!  I do have to say, the Fabric Fusion is pretty strong stuff, and I like that it is clear and hides the areas where I added just a bit too much glue.  ;)  I am pretty sure that sequins is not going anywhere!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...